L’immagine e la parola (19 – 22 March 2015) offers an opportunity to explore the interweaving relationships between the moving image and the written word, in terms of both practice and theory. Two days (Friday 20 and Saturday 21 March) will be devoted to in-depth analysis of the topic by international writers, who will discuss their work with an audience of young people, in relation to their own films and current tendencies in writing for film.
The workshops, which are free to those who register in advance, involve around thirty young European professionals and film and television students. Meeting auteurs of international stature offers participants an opportunity to further their own knowledge and hone their own professional skills within the context of approaches to film narrative.
The third edition of L'immagine e la parola will revolve around a major international figure, Emmanuel Carrère, who has always moved freely between different fields, as a film critic and a literary writer, in documentary and fiction, film and television. Over two days the writer will host two workshops over the two days: one in which he will recount how he moves between documentary and fiction, in relation to his choice to use real events as starting points when developing his novels, the other on his work as a writer on the series Les Revenants.
March 20 (10:00 – 13:00, 14:00 – 16:00): “Breaking through the barriers between fiction and documentary”, a journey through the development of Emmanuel Carrère’s writing, from the written page to his films, and via an on-going dialogue with both original source documentation and his own autobiographical experiences.
March 21 (11:30 –14:00): “Writing for TV series. A case study: Les Revenant”, a dialogue between director and writer Fabrice Gobert and writer Emmanuel Carrère, who was involved in the first season, covering a range of topics, from the initial conception, structure and editorial guidelines for an internationally successful TV series.
The two workshop sessions are free and open to some thirty participants, who will be young professionals and film students from around the world.
Applications to attend the workshops are invited from young people who:
- are attending or have attended a film school and/or are working professionally in film, regardless of their country of origin;
- have a special interest in writing and/or directing for film;
- wish to extend their network of contacts with whom they can share ways of thinking about and making films;
- have a good knowledge of Italian and/or French and/or English.
The L'immagine e la parola workshops offer an opportunity for young participants to:
- also attend the film programs, via their free accreditation;
- enjoy a 15% discount on accommodation and waiver of membership fee at the Locarno Youth Hostel from 19 – 22 March 2015; N.B. reservations must be made by telephone and not on-line, informing the Hostel about participation in L'immagine e la parola at the time of booking.
All costs for transport, accommodation and board are payable by the participants.
Applications for the workshops must be received by Thursday 19 February 2015, using the form below, together with the following documents:
- Letter of motivation (max. 1000 characters)
- c.v. (max. 2 pages)
- A recent photo, in digital format
Successful candidates will be informed of their selection via e-mail by Thursday 26 February 2015.
Applications and further information: