Mountains – Loneliness – Desire
10 short films on the mountains around Locarno. A workshop curated by Béla Tarr
Locarno was chosen by Hungarian director Béla Tarr as the ideal location for one of his renowned international workshops. About ten filmmakers, selected from international calls, will make a film, consisting of ten short films, set in the beautiful mountain scenery offered by the Locarno area.
The workshop, organized thanks to the partnership between Locarno Festival and CISA – International Conservatory of Audiovisual Sciences, will begin during the event and will last until March 26th and will be a unique opportunity to discuss with Tarr, in project development sessions. The first days will be dedicated to the focus of the individual projects, two days for casting and scouting, then the filming and final editing will start. The film will be presented at a special screening at the 72nd Locarno Festival (7 – 17 August 2019).
Who is invited to send in the application? Young people, who:
- have attended or are attending a film school and/or have an advanced training in filmmaking;
- have made at least one short film presented in public;
- have a good knowledge of English, the workshop will be held entirely in English.
The application requires:
- filling in the registration form and payment of CHF 20;
- sending e-mails complete with forms, portfolios, photos in digital format, motivation letter (2000 characters max) in English and link to the short/medium/long film (possible in English or with English subtitles) made to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- specify if you have a video camera and microphone (it is not binding for the selection, we ask you to indicate it for organizational purposes)
Who is selected will have to:
- Reply to the selection email within the deadlines;
- pay the registration fee of CHF 1,500 in good time
The payment of the fee of CHF 1500 for the workshop "Mountains - Loneliness - Desire" includes:
- the workshop held by Béla Tarr, which will take place between 15 and 26 March; CISA will provide the necessary technical equipment;
- stay in double rooms (with bathroom) and breakfast at the Youth Hostel of Locarno from 15 to 27 March;
- lunches and dinners from 15 to 26 March (27th will be the day of departure);
- accreditation for the days of L'immagine e la parola (15 – 17 March 2019);
- accreditation for the 72nd Locarno Festival and hospitality for 2 nights in the Hostel
The ten selected candidates will be notified by e-mail no later than January 31st 2019. The selection will be made by Béla Tarr: the organizers reserve the right to replace candidates who do not respond and do not pay for registration in time.
Applications to be sent by January 10, 2019 to:
Registration form to download here.