Locarno Wins in Turin
It’s the Torino Film Lab, but it’s (also) known as the Locarno Film Festival. The new edition of the Torino Film Festival’s laboratory, which occurred on November 21-23, ended with a plethora of smiles that are well known to Locarno. Many of the talents, directors and professionals who walked away with prizes in Turin were part of those whom the Festival has had the pleasure of knowing, hosting and supporting for the past few years. Some were former attendees of the Open Doors Lab, while others were filmmakers like Sarah Arnold, who left her mark on Locarno five years ago, in 2014, by winning the Pardino d’oro for Totems.
These are the Locarno-related projects that received awards in Turin:
- TFL White Mirror: WILD ENCOUNTERS by Sarah Arnold - Pardino d'oro 2014)
- TFL World Co-Production Fund: THE SKY IS MINE by Deepak Rauniyar (Nepal) - alumni Open Doors 2018
- CNC Special Mention: ZE by Lkhagvadulam Purev-Ochir (Mongolia) - alumni Open Doors Lab 2019
- Hamilton Behind the Camera Award: THE SONGSMITH by Bayu Prihantoro Filemon, prodotto da Yulia Evina Bhara - alumni Open Doors 2019
- Sub-ti Access Award: A YEAR OF COLD, directed by Min Bahadur Bham - alumni Open Doors 2018
It was also a fine success for Swiss director Cyril Schäublin, whose project UNREST, produced by the Ticino-born Michela Pini for Seeland Filmproduktion, collected the TFL Production Award, the ArteKino International Prize and the Amsterdam Post Lab Award.